In the last few weeks Microsoft has dropped the price of their Surface 4 tablet as they are on the precipice of releasing Surface 5 this spring. The concern is whether or not Microsoft will be able to make sure issues with the new version of their tablet are fixed in a timely matter.
If you are looking to convert your small business model to electronic records or point of purchase that includes a multi-tablet platform, you want the best hardware, software and protection for your information portal. Surface 4 has been moving up many tech lists, but at a price in the beginning.
Microsoft’s Surface Pro very publicly displayed its multitude of problems during several National Football League Games last season. Paul Thurrott, a consummate techy and well-respected blogger, had much to say about many a little pack of problems he liked to call “Surfacegate.” Paul listed out just a few of the issues Surface 4 was encountering regularly for several months:
- “Ongoing Intel display driver crashes, which in many cases Blue Screens/restarts the device, even after an issued fix. (And that fix caused boot problems on Surface Book where the power button stops working.)”
- “Rampant power management issues that cause “hot bag” issues and drains the battery because the device never actually goes to sleep.”
- “Surface Detach issues on the Surface Book, where the screen can’t/won’t detach.”
- “USB bus issues (which may or may not be tied to Surface Detach; it’s hard to tell because everything is interconnected on these SoC-based PC designs).”
Then Paul pointed out what Microsoft had done over the several months of complaints up to January of 2016 — nothing.
Of course, by June of 2016 Microsoft had released multi patches, including essential firmware fixes, but the idea of wondering whether a business’ electronic lifeline was going to fail while waiting for these fixes makes for many ulcers.
What is the lesson learned from “Surfacegate?”
- Make sure you align yourself with somebody who knows hardware and software. As mentioned above, you want the best — you NEED the best to make sure your business will run smoothly in the digital world.
- Keep your hardware and vital electronic records protected against the latest threats by making sure you are backing up your information and keeping up with the latest security protocols.
However, many business owners, clinic office managers and others in charge of onboarding electronic recordkeeping just don’t have the time to get and stay tech savvy. Many times, choices are made based on what is the newest offering instead of what has been shown to be the best fit and the most secure ware for each business. This is where CMIT Solutions can step in. We invite you to learn more about what your digital needs may be and how to protect your records and other information right here on our blog. Contact CMIT Solutions of Centreville today, and we can make sure your hardware is running right and your systems are secure against Cryptowall and Ransomware. We worry about IT so you don’t have to.