It seems that we hear about a new data breach on a daily basis. While reality is not that bad (yet), this graphic shows an alarming increase in events over the last few years. Each event is different. However, each breach releases personal data including one or more
- Phone number(s)
- Email addresses
- Social Security Numbers
- Medical history
- Credit history
- Credit Card numbers
- PIN numbers
- Back Account numbers
- Tax Returns
- among other items.
What can you do to protect yourself.
- Do Not click on links in email, Ever. Even if you get an email from someone you know (for example a bill from your utility) Instead of clicking on that link, open a browser and use your favorites to get to the utility website.
- Back up your data. One copy is not sufficient. Keep multiple copies of your data on different media. Include an off-site option in the mix.
- Do Not click on website ads. Google the product or company and go to their website that way.
- Install Anti-virus and Anti-malware software and keep the definitions up to date.
- Do Not give information just because it is asked for. A lot of companies will ask for your Social Security Number. Don’t provided it unless they absolutely need to have it.
- Use a service to filter website browsing. For example OpenDNS can block access to questionable content.
- Purchase and use a cross-cut paper shredder. Use it to destroy those unsolicited credit card applications, old invoices, credit card receipts, old bills, etc. If it has your address on it shred it.
It can take 4 to 16 hours to recover a system from a major virus issue. Can you be with out a computer for two days? I know I can’t. Keep your self protected.
CMIT Solutions of Round Rock can visit your site and talk about these and other actions to help keep your data safe and under your control. Contact us to schedule a visit and evaluation of your business environment.