Here are some tips to keep your data and computer safe while actually using it on the internet.
- Install and keep up to date Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software.
- Only to go websites you trust. When you get an email from a vendor containing links to an invoice or document, don’t click on it. Open your browser, use your favorite or saved link and log into that site manually.
- When signing up on a new site, ready the privacy statement to learn how your data will be used. Read any license or end user agreement to make sure you are ok with the terms.
- When you get one of those annoying pop-up’s click on the red X or use Alt+F4 to close the window.
- Keep your operating system and installed software patched. This includes your browser.
- If you don’t know the sender, do not open an attachment. Even if you do know the sender make sure the attachment is relevant and in character for the sender before you open it.
- Keep any sensitive data encrypted, even when it is dormant on your hard drive.
- Don’t share information about yourself on-line. This provides information to identity thieves and make you subject to social engineering attacks.
- Shred any documents that have personal information in a quality crosscut shredder.
- Use a mix of case, letters, numbers, and symbols in your passwords.
- Keep your passwords secure. There are several programs to keep passwords stored on the computer and encrypted.
- Don’t log into financial accounts on a public computer or while using a public Wi-Fi.
- Stay informed about the latest security threats.
- Keep credit cards with RF ID chips in a protective wallet or pocket book.
- Do not leave a laptop, tablet, or smartphone in open view in your vehicle.
CMIT Solutions of Round Rock provides managed services that help keep you protected. Our base level products include Anti-Virus, and Anti-Malware. We monitor to make sure software is patched. We also have a service to protect data at a network level by blocking access to websites known to be problematic.
Use the form on the right to contact us. We will send a trusted adviser out to evaluate your system.