Uncertain if you are meeting the new HIPAA and HITECH requirements? We can help your practice or health-care related business in Wilmington, Leland, Southport, Georgetown, Landfall, and Wrightsville Beach.
On September 23rd, new HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and HITECH rules went into effect, directly affecting almost every healthcare practice. Some significant points:
- HIPAA/HITECH now applies not only to health-care providers but also to IT vendors, attorneys, accountants, bookkeeping services, and others who come in contact with Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Data breaches affecting under 500 people must be reported annually to The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) yearly; data breaches affecting over 500 people must be reported immediately to HHS and the media.
- The new rules strengthened patient rights to electronic copies of their health information. The required time for delivery has been reduced to 30 days, plus one available 30 day extension.
- Requirement for risk analysis including addressing general security and use of external portable media (e.g., thumb drives)
- If Business Associate knows that a partner is not HIPAA compliant, they are responsible for reporting them.
What are the main causes of HIPAA non-compliance?
- Viruses and malware
- Human error
- Poor maintenance of the computer network
- Not having the right IT partner
Download Free White Paper ‘Questions You Should Ask Your IT Services Provider’
from CMIT HIPAA Compliance Site.
What are the penalties for not complying with requirements?
- Criminal penalties new extend to individuals, not just practices or firms
- Fines between $1,000. an $1.5 million
- 1 to 10 years in jail
- Publicly accessible listings on US Department of Health and human services’ ‘HIPAA Wall of Shame’
CMIT Solutions of Wilmington helps our customers reach HIPAA compliance, within budget. We bring together our experts, existing templates, and HIPAA-compliant technology partnerships to protect our clients and their patient health information. Let us help you reach and sustain compliance with our:
- Updated Privacy and Security Risk Assessments
- HIPAA-compliant Business Associate Agreements
- Policies and procedures to handle the use and disclosure of PHI
- Detailed employee training programs
- Technical infrastructure improvements
- Ongoing compliance management, administration and infrastructure support
CMIT is the local company with worldwide expertise.
Take advantage of our vast backup and recovery knowledge from the guy down the street.
Learn more about CMIT Solutions:
CMIT Solutions of Wilmington serves Monkey Junction, Southport, Oak Island, Landfall, Leland, and Wilmington with a strategic approach to IT consulting. We improve performance of your business technology and we do it in a cost effective way. We provide everything you need to keep your technology running, your data safe and your staff on board so you can concentrate on what’s really important. We are a true partner to your business.